Today, This Mom Just Wanted a Shower..

By Holly Giles | Family

shower
I live in a 1965 home.  They apparently didn’t believe in master
bathrooms at that time. I live with my husband and two boys. Boys who
are starting to smell more frequently.  Today, I went to have a shower.
When I entered the bathroom, which is very tiny by the way, and in it’s original
1965 powder blue tile from top to bottom, I noticed that
the toilet was clogged.  I left the bathroom to make sure that the person
who clogged it had not put an object into the toilet that was not supposed to
be there.  I proceeded to flush the toilet to see if that would remedy the problem.
For some reason, the toilet acted like a mini geyser and shot toilet water into the air.

Great, now I need to clean the floor and the toilet before I have a shower. I reach behind the toilet to get
the toilet brush and find two pairs of socks, underwear and a crock shoe we have
been missing.  My toilet is not that big.
Now that I am cleaning the toilet, I might as well clean the whole area and get that done.
I grab the shower curtain to pull it back and notice how dirty it is with hand prints, and for
some reason toothpaste. How does toothpaste get on the shower curtain?
I’ll have to wash that when I get done.  As I turn on the water for my shower,
I see big white flakes all over the bottom of my blue cast iron tub.  I look up.
Because my boys are now entering the “stinky” phase of boyhood, many
more showers are happening daily in this tiny bathroom.  A remodel has been on my
to-do list for well, about 15 years now.  There is not an exhaust fan and the air flow is
not that great.  So, with additional daily showers, the effects are a peeling ceiling.

I’ll add scrape down the bathroom ceiling and repaint on my list.  Right now, I just
REALLY want a shower.  I clean the tub before I get in, then lather up.Just as I rinse my hair and feel more human, I feel something fall on my head and shoulders.
Yep, the rest of the ceiling came down in large flakes on my clean hair and shoulders.
I guess my shower is over.

I dry off while waiting for the mirror to clear up.  It doesn’t seem to clear?  Oh, that isn’t fog,
it is runny toothpaste, again.  Do the boys Spit at the mirror?  Really?  I get my cleaning
cloth out again and clean the mirror so I can see to wash my face and make sure I got all the
ceiling out of my hair.  Oh, wait, that isn’t white ceiling flakes, that is a large patch of
gray hair that just seemed to sprout up in my bangs.  I really don’t think that was there
yesterday, but I couldn’t really see up close yesterday due to the toothpaste on the mirror.
I will add hair dye to the grocery list.

All I really wanted was a shower today. You know what I’m talking about.  Even as the
kids get out of diapers, can halfway fend for themselves, a shower can still be elusive
some days.  I know one day I will miss the toothpaste spit that seems to take over the
bathroom and the dirty socks all over the floor. I will laugh at the ceiling falling down,
maybe, once I get it scrapped and repaint it.

Well, at least the bathroom is clean, for today.

Anyone have any suggestions for my bathroom ceiling. I will be working on that tomorrow.
Probably before I have a shower.

It is always an adventure here at the Frontier!

Sign up for Frontier Field Notes
  • Heidi says:

Visiting from Inspiration Monday! Isn't it crazy how one thing leads to another? It's like the mom version of If You Give a Moose a Muffin! 🙂 Thanks for the smiles today and enjoy your clean bathroom!

• Toni says:

I feel bad for laughing at this but as I was visualising this unfolding I couldnt help but chuckle. We have a 1989 house that is partially renovated, our bathroom was originally peach everything – bath, tiles, vanity, mirror. We don't have an ensuite either so I can't see our little bathroom handling a family with older kids that well so Im hoping we will have moved out by then. Lucky we only have one child at the moment and shes only ten months old because I wont be able to afford a new house (or ensuite) anytime soon.

• OK, now I realised that I really need to go and clean my bathroom…… but then I think why bother, it will be dirty again 2hours later….. 4 girls are murder on a bathroom!

• Holly Giles says:

Heidi, Yes, as moms we always have one thing that leads to another! Glad it gave you a smile today, that was my intent!! We have to laugh at it all, eventually! Holly

• Holly Giles says:

Toni, I think I would have loved the peach more than powder blue!! Having a master bath would be a dream for sure! One day my bathroom will be clean for more than a day, but then I will miss it, right? Holly

• Holly Giles says:

Mandy, Wow four girls! You have hair clips, gel and hair spray, I have dirt, dirt and dirt!!! Don't clean the bathroom, go read a book today!! Holly

• This post is funny and encouraging to me! My kids are home for the summer and it seems all I do is clean up. I wonder how things got where they are and what are they doing to get dirt over there?!? Hope you get some good showers in this week! #motivationalmonday

• Love it! It reminds me of the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookies" book 🙂

Yes, I thought of that as I was writing it!! Thanks for stopping by! Holly

• Misty B says:

Lol! Made me smile 🙂 Came over from Hip Homeschool Moms!

• Holly Giles says:

Misty, Glad it made you smile! That was my goal. We have got to laugh about motherhood sometimes don't we? It helps keep us sane! Thanks for coming over. Holly

• Audrey says:

I think every mom has been there, more than once. 🙂

• Holly Giles says:

Audrey, Yes, I know we all have. Sometimes it is nice to hear others have those days too! Thanks for stoppping by! Holly

• Haha! I love the title of your post! Your post is like the story of my life these days! It doesn't seem to matter what I am trying to do, I am constantly distracted by all the other things I see that also need to be done… Thanks for sharing and helping me see that I'm not the only one 🙂

• Lila M says:

I loved reading this post! Good luck with your ceiling! My daughter is a one and a half year old mommy's girl, so I understand how nice a little alone time to shower can be!

• Holly Giles says:

Missy, That is why I wrote it. We are all in the thick of it when we have children at home, not matter their age! I'm glad you got a laugh, and know I'm with ya!! Holly

• Holly Giles says:

Thanks Lila, I remember the days of little fingers under the door of the bathroom! The only time I had a moment to myself!! I'll have to write a post about fixing the ceiling. I am still ignoring it this week. Maybe next week! Holly

• LOL! I love this! Thanks for sharing! to me motherhood without humor is like coffee without caffeine. Thanks for sharing such a REAL mom post! Blessings!

• Thanks for sharing. Sometimes I just feel alone in the struggle. I now have two little girls, one that's clearly entering the terribles. I sometimes realize I hadn't taken a shower or brushed my teeth by the end of the day but too exhausted to get out bed. Thanks for sharing with Turn It Up Tuesday!

Thanks Kaylene! Your are right, I needed coffee after that shower!! Holly

• Holly Giles says:

April, You are NOT alone! We mothers need to stick together and show the REAL side of parenthood just as much as the fun side. Parenting is hard, exhausting and you can never take a day off, even when you really wish you could!! Hang in there! Holly

• Lana says:

Holly – so funny! I wrote just this week about the ridiculous things my boys seem to ignore everyday. Glad we're not in this alone 🙂 Have a great weekend.

• With both kids sick the other day I thought I was going to explode before I got to pee. Hello from Welcome Party Wednesday.

• As the mom of 2 boys I can totally relate!!! Thanks for sharing at the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop!

• Holly Giles says:

Thanks Lana! I grew up an only child, so it is funny all the things boys do that I just don't understand! Holly

• I can relate! And sadly, yes, they seem to spit at the mirror. I actually suspect that the sink is some sort of reverse-bullseye they think they're not supposed to aim for. Thanks for linking up at the Lovely Ladies Linky.

• Holly Giles says:

Thank you Rachael for the feature! That is awesome and I appreciate it! I am glad you liked it! I thought it was a good reminder to moms. We all have those days! Holly

• >